Coal Mines Act 1979
Commenced: 1 Apr 1980
III: Coal Mining Rights
99. Tribute agreement---(1) For the purposes of this section and in
sections 100 and 101 of this Act---
``Licensee'' means the holder of a coal mining licence:
``Tribute agreement'' means an agreement between a licensee and
another person whereby the other person has the right to mine
the land to which the licence relates or any part of it on terms
requiring him to pay to the licensee a royalty in respect of all
coal mined, a rent or fee in respect of the coal mining licence,
or a percentage or portion of the earnings or proceeds of the
``Tributer'' means a person who enters into a tribute agreement with
(2) Every tribute agreement shall be in writing, shall be signed by
the parties, and shall not be lodged with the District Land Registrar
until the Minister has consented to it in writing; and the Minister may
decline to consent or may give his consent unconditionally or subject to
such terms and conditions (including variation or deletion of any of the
terms of the agreement) as he thinks fit to impose.
(3) Every tribute agreement shall, to the Secretary's satisfaction,
describe the land to be mined and contain particulars of the coal mining
licence to which it relates and shall specify the period of time during
which the agreement shall operate.
(4) Every tribute agreement shall be signed in quadruplicate, and all
copies shall forthwith be forwarded to the Secretary.
(5) When the Minister has consented to a tribute agreement, the
Secretary shall endorse the 4 copies of the agreement to that effect and
(a) Forward 1 copy to the licensee and 1 copy to the tributer; and
(b) Lodge 1 copy with the District Land Registrar.
(6) On the receipt of a copy of a tribute agreement the District Land
Registrar shall, without fee,---
(a) Sign and seal on it a statement of the time and date of receipt;
(b) Record and file it in his office; and
(c) Endorse his filed copy of the coal mining licence to which it
relates with the particulars of the agreement, including the
(7) No tribute agreement shall come into force until its particulars
have been endorsed on the coal mining licence to which it relates
pursuant to subsection (6) (c) of this section.
Cf. 1925, No. 39, s. 78A; 1972, No. 8, s. 42